Have you ever been involved in a minor or serious car accident? If you have them some of this may sound familiar to you, but there may even be a few helpful tips in here that you were not aware of. Hundreds of thousands of car accidents happen every day and many times people are caught off-guard, frightened, or unprepared. That is why it is so important that you take interest in accident preparedness so that you stand as ready as you can possibly be if you ever find yourself involved in an automobile accident. Here are a few helpful steps from our Albuquerque car accident attorney to assist you in a car accident situation:
- Try and keep an accident preparedness kit in your vehicle at all times containing a notepad, a pen, a camera, your registration information, your car insurance information and any first aid materials you think you may need.
- Always stop if you believe that you hit someone or if you have been hit by another vehicle. If you don't stop at the scene of the accident, then you could face hit & run charges. This includes hitting a vehicle, an animal, a pedestrian, or a bicyclist.
- Pull over to a safe place that is not a high-traffic area. If your car will not move and it is located in a high traffic area, then you must exit and make your way to a safe location. Be sure to always turn off the engine of your car and put on your emergency hazard lights to alert oncoming drivers.
- If anyone was injured in the accident be sure to call 911 and seek out medical attention. Once the ambulance arrives they can tend to the injured and the police can file a formal accident report.
- Whether you were at fault or someone else, you should always remain calm and do not go around yelling and blaming. This type of behavior can only make the situation worse.
- Be sure that you exchange information with all the drivers involved and be sure to get their name, address, phone number, driver's license number and vehicle registration information. You should also get their car insurance information.
- Check to see if any witnesses saw the accident happen. If there were any witnesses ask them for their contact information so that you can contact them to confirm your story if there is no police report filed.
- In order to preserve any physical evidence of damage before it is cleaned up or repaired, you should take pictures of the accident and other surrounding areas. This includes vehicle damage and property damage. You should also take pictures to document any injuries before they are healed.
- Be sure to contact your insurance company and inform them about the accident. If your car is damaged or totaled you may be eligible for a rental car until it is fixed, depending on your insurance policy.
- Contact a car accident lawyer as soon as possible to help you deal with the insurance companies. They have a tendency to underpay and sometimes even deny claims.
Here at James Wood Law we have assisted countless clients with their car accident cases and we can help you recover the compensation that you are entitled to under the law. We have over two decades of experience, so call to speak with an Albuquerque car accident lawyer from our firm today. We have recovered millions for past clients and we will review your case for free!